Architect Md. Sharif Uddin Ahammed was born in Jessore, Bangladesh. He spent his formative years in the district town of Jessore where the natural context encouraged him to build a keen observation ability and the natural tendency of learning from his surroundings. The traditional, sustainable way of leading life and building structure creates great aspiration in him to pursue architecture as a profession. His practice involved the incorporation of our glorious past into contemporary expressions.
Architect Md. Sharif Uddin Ahammed has been conferred his Bachelor of Architecture from, the discipline of architecture, at Khulna University. After graduating he started his profession in 2005, He founded his own practice “Sthapotik” in 2007 with the motto of responsive environments in architecture. By responsive environments, he addresses a sensitive architectural practice which involves climatic, contextual, cultural, economic, social, materialistic, and sustainable responsiveness. His practice is studio-based, though, every project has been executed with extended research and time to achieve architectural brilliance. He admires challenges and always seeks new circumstances to connect the heritage and culture with context. His works range from schools for special needs to low-cost housing, mosques, residences, and apartments to corporate head offices, University buildings, Industries and interior as well. He has been teaching at several Universities since 2010. Currently, he is teaching at Ahasanullah University of Science and Technology as Part-time faculty. He achieved a number of national and international awards during his practice. Awards are;
• Commendation award of Berger Award for Excellence in Architecture organized by Berger, Bangladesh in Association with IAB in 2019.
• Shortlisted for 2A Asia Architecture Award organized by 2A Art & Architecture Magazine, Vienna in 2016.
• Received World Architecture Award in 5th cycle for the design of School Cyclone Shelter in 2009.
• Received 2nd prize in an Open Architectural Design Competition for the design of Agrani Bank Bhaban-3 at Shahbag, Dhaka in Association with IAB in 2011
• Shortlisted for MH17 Memorial + Park an international competition organized by MATTERBETTER in 2014.